Learning D

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 29 23:54:14 PST 2015

On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 07:24:35 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 04:09:46 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 02:36:01 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>>> The book "Learning D" by Michael Parker is available at half
>>> price through November 30:
>>>
>>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-d
>>>
>>> I did not know it was out, but I bought a copy today, and it
>>> is quite a resource. It looks like it covers a lot of topics
>>> for which the documentation isn't helpful (at least to me) or
>>> nonexistent.
>>>
>>> "D Web Development" can also be preordered at half price:
>>>
>>> https://www.packtpub.com/web-development/d-web-development
>>
>> Thanks for posting this! I wasn't aware. The publisher has yet
>> to notify me.
>
> There's no Table of Contents or free sample, should add those
> so we can know more about the contents.

Totally beyond my control. My most recent email asking about the
book's status hasn't yet been answered. I think the release isn't
quite fully completed yet. The print version isn't available from
the PACKT site yet. Anyway, here's the TOC:

1.	How to Get a D in Programming - introduction to the language,
DMD, DUB and the sample project.
2.	Building a Foundation with D Fundamentals - a massive chapter
on the language basics.
3.	Programming Objects the D Way - D's support for user-defined
types: enums, structs, and classes. Includes module constructors
and exception handling.
4.	Running Code at Compile Time - a short chapter on different
CTFE and other compile-time features (static if, version, string
mixins)
5.	Generic Programming Made Easy - templates
6.	Understanding Ranges - introduction to ranges. Covers what
they are, how to use them, and how to define them.
7.	Composing Functional Pipelines with Algorithms and Ranges - a
short look at functional style in D and a tour or std.algorithm &
std.range.
8.	Exploring the Wide World of D - a tour of the D ecosystem
9.	Connecting D with C - binding to C, calling C from D and
calling D from C.
10.	Taking D Online - an example vibe.d project
11.     Taking D to the Next Level - advice on where to go next
for features not covered in the book.