Beta D 2.069.0-b1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 9 20:41:44 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 at 01:52:36 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> To me the whole property discussion looks like one of those
> endless debates about an insignificant detail.
> Scala and Ruby seem to do well with sloppy parens.

Strict typing and explicitness has a real effect on code
legibility and maintenance. D is trying too hard to be a
scripting language. Taking away getter/setter typing just
reinforce that impression.

> With the introduction of UFCS it became clear that nobody likes
> byLine().array().sort().release(), and even less
> rng.release.sort().array().front.

Introduce a pipeline operator. Chaining processes with dot
operators has always been an ugly old OO hack.

> For some functions it's really hard to decide whether or not
> something is a property, e.g. for me Range.save is an
> action/function not a property. So for me using @property
> appears to waste time making pointless decisions.

If it is hard to decide then that probably means that the model
is flawed and needs more work.

D really needs to start strengthening the type system, rather
than eroding it.