Walter and I talk about D in Romania

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 14 16:06:45 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 22:54:40 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> First, the event was recorded. There was a professional A/V
> studio working with multiple cameras, additional lighting, the
> works (though they did have some audio problems in the
> beginning). Andrei confirmed that the recordings will be
> published.

Super good news.

> The audience was packed - 400 people in total. Quite amazing. I
> did not recognize anyone, which on the other hand is great
> because the event reached 399 people new to D :) Also the % of
> women was much higher than the past DConfs I've attended. There
> were a few people in the audience familiar with
> recent/untraditional programming languages (Rust, Nim, Haskell)
> so there was some nice dialogue at times (Andrei had to impose
> a budget on the first 5 rows to get the rest of the audience to
> participate).

Super good news as well :)

> Andrei's first talk was mainly concerning with "pure", its
> variants (strong/weak), rules and benefits, as well as a quick
> description of CTFE and the famous ctRegex benchmark where D
> beats everything else. I'm not sure if some slides were skipped
> over due to time constraints.

I think I've seen that one so many time I could do it myself :)

> Walter's talk was about how D was extended to gradually support
> more ways to interface with C++ (class/vtable layouts,
> namespaces, extern(C++), name mangling etc.) and how it helped
> DDMD.

DO WANT :)

> This was all for the conference. We took the rest of the
> weekend to tour Brașov and do some sightseeing. The most
> striking thing about the city is the number of roundabouts -
> probably 90% of intersections were replaced by them! If you're
> around, do make sure to make the climb to the mountain looming
> above the old city (or just take the cable car), the view is
> awesome.

The city I originally come from is well know for its overuse of
roundabout as well, preferably all the most confusing forms they
can exist, like this :
http://www.lacaravane.com/photos/double-rondpoint-Nantes.jpg or
that :
https://inconvenantes.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/rond-point-bouche-dc3a9vier.jpg