Fastest JSON parser in the world is a D project

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 16 10:38:01 PDT 2015

On 10/16/15 11:56 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 15:36:26 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> You certainly can link with it, and then your code becomes GPL.
>
> No, the code is code. It is an artifact. The GPL is a legal document.
> The legal document says what rights you have to the copy you received
> and what requirements that follows it. You are allowed to modify it and
> do anything you want with it that is covered under fair use. This varies
> between jurisdictions.
>
> The license primarily comes into effect  when you _distribute_ or
> _publish_, because the legal precedent for putting restrictions on
> distribution and publishing is much stronger. And WIPO is much more
> clear there.

Right, so what happens when you accidentally distribute it? What license
is it under?

For example, let's say you have a product that doesn't use JSON. It's
proprietary, and you distribute it under a proprietary license. You want
to include JSON parsing, so you incorporate this GPL'd library. Then you
distribute it under your proprietary license.

Recipient says "Wait, you used fast.json! That means this is now GPL, I
want the source". Then what?

> So, if you build websites for a third party you can use GPL without
> redistribution by writing the contract in such a way that the third
> party is using your service. Meaning, you run the software. So
> circumventing the GPL isn't all that hard if you want to.

Being able to use GPL on SAAS doesn't satisfy the use case here. This is
a compiled library, it can be used in any piece of software.

-Steve