Coedit 2 alpha 1 - now with dub

qsdfghjk via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 24 10:48:43 PDT 2015

On Friday, 23 October 2015 at 06:55:37 UTC, Rory McGuire wrote:
> I think IDE devs are supposed to use `dub describe` not read
> the package
> file directly.
> That whole package loading section of dub should probably be a
> library
> though.
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Eliatto via
> Digitalmars-d-announce < digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 05:08:05 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>
>>> - compile, run, choose the configuration and the build type.
>>> but only the JSON format is handled.
>>>
>> BTW, why there are two formats for dub? Which one will be
>> obsolete? It's a headache for IDE developers.

`dub describe` cannot be used currently for an advanced GUI. It
has a latency issue due to dependencies checking. Coedit has a
full DUB editor (http://imgur.com/a/WiXr7). Using this command
would imply:

- change value in the GUI tree.
- save file.
- get and wait for the description, load and parse anyway to get
the tree...
- update GUI.

and this for each single modification.

And I agree with you concerning the two formats. When SDL was
announced I directly knewn that it would be a problem because
this is a very "marginal" format. The official SDL homepage has
been broken for monthes, showing how widely spreaded and trendy
it is (giving the feeling that it was not even worth fixing the
server). And there is almost no bindings for SDL at all.

Afaik, neither MonoD nor Visual-D support the SDL format.
(although Visual-D could since it's written in D so the SDL
library exists...).