D-Day for DMD is today!

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 03:37:17 PDT 2015

On 02-Sep-2015 07:52, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2015 5:31 am, "Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce"
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
> <mailto:digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 09:44:17 Steven Schveighoffer via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>  > > On 9/1/15 6:48 AM, "Luís Marques  <luis at luismarques.eu
> <mailto:luis at luismarques.eu>> wrote:
>  > > > On Sunday, 23 August 2015 at 05:17:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>  > > >> We have made the switch from C++ DMD to D DMD!
>  > > >
>  > > > Is there a rough prediction of when the use of phobos in ddmd
> will start
>  > > > to be accepted?
>  > >
>  > > I'm not a dmd dev, but I'm not sure it will be accepted, since
> phobos is
>  > > very unstable. We have to be cautious about making dmd breakable easily
>  > > by a change to phobos.
>  > >
>  > > Of course, I think there is a baseline dmd/gdc/ldc that must be used to
>  > > build dmd, so perhaps as long as you use phobos features that work
>  > > there, it will be OK.
>  >
>  > Plenty of Phobos is stable and hasn't changed in quite a while. We do
>  > sometimes deprecate stuff still, but there isn't much that gets
> deprecated
>  > at this point, and the deprecation cycle is about two years. The common
>  > problem would be regressions, and the compiler gets those as much or more
>  > often than Phobos does. But it is true that some stuff in Phobos changes
>  > occasionally, and that could affect how new a compiler you need to
> compile
>  > the current dmd.
>  >

> Don't forget, Phobos library maintainers love to use new features
> everywhere.  Tagging many functions with @nogc almost weeks after it was
> introduced in master was the last major backwards breaking change you
> did that I'm aware of.

Because the compiler and library releases go in lockstep we'd have to
wait for another release cycle to even field-test @nogc. Not acceptable
really.

Phobos ends up battle testing every new feature and if it wasn't new
features will be definitely shipped in a broken state. Let's not forget
that new D frontend features still have many bugs that stay undetected
even after testing in Phobos.

--
Dmitry Olshansky