Go 1.5

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 18 13:46:15 PDT 2015

On Friday, 18 September 2015 at 19:26:27 UTC, Rory wrote:
> The new GC in Go 1.5 seems interesting. What they say about is
> certainly interesting.
>
> http://blog.golang.org/go15gc
>
> "To create a garbage collector for the next decade, we turned
> to an algorithm from decades ago. Go's new garbage collector is
> a concurrent, tri-color, mark-sweep collector, an idea first
> proposed by Dijkstra in 1978."

I think this was talked about in general. If I remember correctly
the consensus was that

1. D's GC is really primitive (70's style stop the world) and
there's a lot of room for improvement

2. However, D has much more important problems currently than a
slow GC, e.g. std.allocator, a GC-less phobos, smaller .o files
for embedded systems, A better DMD with DDMD, etc.

The reason Go has a better GC than D is that Go users have no
choice but to use the GC, while D users have a bunch more options.