reggae v0.5.0: new features in the D meta-build system

Per Nordlöw via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 22 05:39:47 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 at 14:07:17 UTC, Atila Neves
wrote:
> http://code.dlang.org/my_packages/reggae
>
> What's new:
> Atila

If you want to build a really revolutionary *new* build system
you should turn reggae into a client-server-architecture that
listens to file moves/copies/notifications via inotify on Linux.
I'm not sure how the develop/builder interface would look like
then, however. A web-client would be one way.

SCons has a very hidden feature called interactive mode via
`--interactive` that supports instantaenous incremental builds
via a very primitive CLI that basically supports to commands:

- build/b TARGET
- clean/c TARGET

This however does not rebuild the dependency tree between
invokations which is a serious limitation. I believe reggae could
be even smarter here.

I've spent the last two years designing and implementing a
SCons-based build system at work. Involving, among others, adding
support for Ada and auto-detection of include-paths as you have
done in reggae.

I you want any advice on this matter please contact me. I'd be
glad to be of service.

Good luck!