reggae v0.5.0: new features in the D meta-build system

anonymous via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 15:12:48 PDT 2015

On Friday 25 September 2015 23:27, Atila Neves wrote:

> How does one compile 3 files "at the same time" and generate 3
> object files? There was a reference to a -multiobj option in that
> post but that's not even in the man page.

dmd -c foo.d bar.d baz.d

rdmd would probably do this by now, if it weren't for the template
instantiation issue. There's a nice, simple example of the issue in the PR
discussion: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/pull/170#issuecomment-112526734

> Even if it exists and works as I assume it does, it seems to me
> to be a silly way to compile files. As Andrei mentioned at DConf
> this year, the D idiom is to group source files per package when
> compiling. That's what reggae does by default for D files. It
> just works.

Aside from the template instantiation issue, I don't see how doing a package
at a time is better than compiling exactly those files that need to be
compiled.