reggae v0.5.0: new features in the D meta-build system

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 16:24:37 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 22:12:49 UTC, anonymous wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2015 23:27, Atila Neves wrote:
>
>> How does one compile 3 files "at the same time" and generate 3
>> object files? There was a reference to a -multiobj option in
>> that post but that's not even in the man page.
>
> dmd -c foo.d bar.d baz.d

Huh, I didn't know that. I guess I've always used the `-of`
option. Unsurprisingly, so does reggae. Which means that
incremental compilation is no longer an issue.

> Aside from the template instantiation issue, I don't see how
> doing a package at a time is better than compiling exactly
> those files that need to be compiled.

There have been threads about this before. It turns out that
compiling per file is usually slower than compiling the whole
package/app at once. It's not intuitive, but it's true (I
measured it myself). reggae has an option to compile per-file but
I haven't used it since switching to per-package once.

Atila