Release D 2.071.0

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 10 07:30:29 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 at 10:13:35 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 April 2016 at 22:43:05 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> Glad to announce D 2.071.0.
>>
>> http://dlang.org/download.html
>>
>> This release fixes many long-standing issues with imports and
>> the module
>> system.
>> See the changelog for more details.
>>
>> http://dlang.org/changelog/2.071.0.html
>>
>> -Martin
>
> It is second time git tag for DMD release refers to commit with
> VERSION file content which doesn't match the tag. May indicate
> something is wrong in release procedure.

Hah, and just like last time I notice this right after you :-)

I think part of the problem with the release procedure may be
that the build-a-release script actually auto-overwrites the
VERSION file content, so the problem is hidden unless one tries
to build directly from source the manual way:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/5382#issuecomment-177545916

Assuming that we want to continue relying on the VERSION
information (which makes sense for e.g. users building from
tarballs rather than git clones), might it make sense to change
the build script to _validate_ the VERSION info, forcing the
maintainer to correct it if there is a mismatch?