Official dub packages for Debian and Ubuntu

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 11 10:41:44 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 14:26:32 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen wrote:
> On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 14:21:46 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> And porting Python code to D was incredibly easy. I'll likely
>> blog about my experience with D).
>
> That would be great. Do you have a link to your blog (and its
> rss feed)?

That would be http://blog.tenstral.net/ and
http://blog.tenstral.net/feed - no D content there yet though,
lots of Freedesktop and distro engineering stuff instead ^^

>> As part of that work, the dub package an build management
>> system is now available in Debian, and I will ensure it works
>> well.
>
> Nice, that will make it a lot easier, for people that are not
> using D, to install D programs/packages

Jup - the biggest issue is that GDC and LDC are lagging behind
the proprietary DMD compiler, especially in terms of supporting a
more recent Phobos version. The latter makes many things
buildable only with DMD, which won't be found in any mainstream
Linux distribution (no free software).

On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 17:18:28 UTC, Jordi Sayol wrote:
> El 11/04/16 a les 16:21, Matthias Klumpp via
> Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
>> [...]
>> Co-maintainers[1] and feedback from the dub developers is very
>> welcome, and I hope this addition is useful for you.
> [...]
>> [1]: Especially from the d-apt people - helping with official
>> Debian packages is possible even if you're no Debian Developer
>> / Maintainer.
>
> I'm the only one d-apt maintainer.
>
> About the d-apt dub deb package, they're built using binaries
> from <https://code.dlang.org/download> and do not compile
> anything.

Eww, that's not something we can do for official packages - it's
fine though for 3rd-party stuff :-)

> How long will it take from a dub release until dub deb package
> will be available on the Debian stable repositories? And for
> Ubuntu?

Depends on the release cycle of Debian and Ubuntu. Generally,
once software is in stable, it will only receive security fixes,
and no further upstream versions will be added. That is part of
the stability promise we give to users. Every new upstream
release might include changes in behavior, breaking things or
introducing new bugs.

That being said, new upstream releases can be made available via
backports, if there is demand for it (it's relatively easy, if
the code compiles with the older GDC release in stable at that
time).

The Ubuntu Xenial (16.04) release (due in April) will have dub
0.9.24, and Debian Stretch (9), which will likely be released in
spring next year, will have whatever dub version is current then
(or if the dub developers prefer a certain version for stable,
that version).

Cheers,
   Matthias