Official dub packages for Debian and Ubuntu

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 11 14:58:55 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 April 2016 at 14:21:46 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> As part of that work, the dub package an build management
> system is now available in Debian, and I will ensure it works
> well.
> Additionally, it was possible to make dub available late in the
> Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) development cycle, so dub will also be
> part of the upcoming LTS release of Ubuntu (kudos here go to
> Matthias Klose for pointing me at the "new" --push-state linker
> directive to work around dub not linking properly against
> libcurl when the latter is compiled with --as-needed).

That's great news.  Thank you very much!

Related note: I see the lcd version in xenial is 0.17.0~beta2 --
I don't suppose there's any chance of upgrading that to the
stable 0.17.1 release ... ?  (Not asking you to do it personally,
just wondering if that's something that could be achieved.)

> On the roadmap are adding debhelper sequences to simplify
> packaging dub-based D code in Debian based distros, auto-test
> support in Debian's CI, and of course the usual bugfixing.

That sounds very cool.  I'm very grateful that you are doing this
work; it's going to save me my usual from-source install, and
looks like it opens the gates for a bunch more D code getting
into the Debian + Ubuntu universe.

Curious question: what's the Debian policy these days on what D
compiler should be used to build D packages?  And has dub's
config been tweaked accordingly in terms of which compiler it
prefers to use ... ?

Thanks & best wishes,

     -- Joe