Official dub packages for Debian and Ubuntu

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 16 02:48:01 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 at 16:29:31 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> FTR, I filed
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ldc/+bug/1570006 - if
> we are lucky, this still has a chance to go in.

That's great, thank you very much.

> As for further dub stuff, it is important that
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues/811 is
> addressed, so we can build software using dub without
> downloading stuff from the internet.
> Btw, since D doesn't know traditional headers like C/C++, how
> would I link against a library without having the full
> sourcecode present somewhere?

Is there anything wrong -- in principle -- with (for now)
treating open-source D libraries much like the various Boost C++
libraries, which AFAICT are almost entirely header-based?

I ask because so far as I can tell that would work around the
immediate problems of compiler incompatibilities, it would not
add any extra work compiler-wise that's not already there with
dub's current way of doing things, and for template-heavy D code
(which is quite a lot of code), it makes no difference, since
that would have to be available in .d or .di files anyway.