Official dub packages for Debian and Ubuntu

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 18 09:57:27 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 16:57:41 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 at 01:58:13 UTC, Matthias Klumpp
> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I can ask, but given that the Xenial final freeze is on 24.
>> April (release on 26.) and changing compiler versions that
>> late in the cycle is potentially dangerous, I guess there is
>> only a slim chance of success... On the pro-side is that
>> having a beta compiler in the LTS release is undesirable, but
>> even then I need to find an Ubuntu developer who does have
>> time to do the sync and get the feature-freeze-exception. LDC
>> FTBFSing on armel in Debian (and not entering testing due to
>> that at time) is also an issue :-/
>
> Ouch :-(  Well, if you are happy to look into it, that would be
> great -- no pressure, though. :-)

Freeze exception for LDC was approved last-minute, which means
the final release will be in Xenial :-)

> BTW, the package description for ldc, in both Debian and
> Ubuntu, is insanely out of date: it reads,
>
>    LDC already compiles a lot of D code, but should still be
>    considered beta quality. Take a look at the tickets to get
>    a better impression on what still needs to be implemented.
>
> ... which AFAICT is unchanged from something like 5+ years ago,
> when the ldc packaged in Debian/Ubuntu was a D1-only compiler
> still in heavy development.

Yeah, the description is really off-putting and should absolutely
be changed... You can contect the Debian maintainer, Konstantinos
Margaritis <markos at debian.org> about it.
Alternatively, I can also report a bug against LDC (need to find
time for that, maybe tomorrow).

Cheers,
     Matthias