Computer Vision Library in D

tost via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 19 23:10:50 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 04:31:33 UTC, Relja Ljubobratovic
wrote:

>> I'm interested in contributing towards parts that involve
>> machine learning/numerical optimisation. I have written some
>> of my own CV/ML programs with D in the past, but none of them
>> are particularly well engineered since they were all intended
>> for just my own use.
>
> That's great, thanks Henry! As I've noted above, I think it
> would be wise to keep modules like ML and optimization apart
> from this library, and to integrate dcv with them through
> ndslice. Maybe it's more likely that you could contribute to
> DlangScience's SVM libray with those parts? But any of your
> previous CV experience is more than welcome for DCV - I'll
> contact you on the github so we could discuss this further,
> hope that's ok.

I have an implementation of BFGS in D (except [open]BLAS :). BFGS
is an algorithm for unconstrained optimization of nonlinear
smooth functions. It is NOT L-BFGS and requires O(n*n) memory for
optimizing f: R^n -> R. The linesearch may be useful to implement
other algorithms.

It works fine for me, but needs some refactoring. Given existing
bindings for nlopt: would this be useful? If so, I start the
refactoring.

For now, there are no benchmarks, but it is definitely
faster/fewer iterations than optim(method="BFGS") in R and the
algorithm should be better than the version in GSL (if n is not
too large, GSL uses some kind of L-BFGS).