Using D in Debian to build AppStream metadata.

Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 20 12:33:49 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 17 April 2016 at 11:10:29 UTC, Antonio Corbi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just read this post from Matthias Klumpp
> (http://blog.tenstral.net/2016/04/introducing-appstream-generator.html) in planet.debian.net where he talks about replacing the current appstream metadata generator written in python (dep11-generator).
>
> He talks about considering Go, Rust and D for this task, and
> why He finally chose D. It's very short and very enlightening,
> worth a reading!
>
> Hope you like it!
> Sorry if this has been posted before.
>
> Antonio

 From the blog post:
"And while I never intended to write the new generator in D (I
was pretty fixated on Go…), this is what happened. The strong
points for D for this particular project were its close relation
to C (and ease of using existing C code), its super-flat learning
curve for someone who knows and likes C and C++ and its pretty
powerful implementations of the concurrent and parallel
programming paradigms."

That's pretty cool - and interesting.