Commercial video processing app in D (experience report)

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 27 06:59:35 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 at 12:42:05 UTC, thedeemon wrote:

> Compiler
> Compiler used is DMD 2.070, 32-bit target. Video Enhancer
> supports 200+ plugins from VirtualDub and they happen to be
> 32-bit, so our app has to be 32-bit too. Speed of code
> generated by DMD is more than enough, even debug builds were
> fast enough. The default linker is used (not the MS one), and I
> was worried there might be some troubles with antivirus false
> positives (that happened before when using optlink) but no,
> everything went smooth and no problems with optlink arose
> whatsoever.

Note that starting with the newest LDC releases you can have
Win32 builds.

The parameters to pass to the linker to avoid a VS runtime
dependency are:

     link.exe [...stuff...] libcmt.lib /nodefaultlib:msvcrt.lib
/nodefaultlib:vcruntime.lib

Users report such builds working on XP, Vista and later of course.
The advantages are faster binaries (typically 2x faster) and
importantly lack of backend regressions.