LZ4 decompression at CTFE

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 27 23:03:46 PDT 2016

Am Tue, 26 Apr 2016 23:55:46 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> On 4/26/2016 3:05 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > originally I want to wait with this announcement until DConf.
> > But since I working on another toy. I can release this info early.
> >
> > So as per title. you can decompress .lz4 flies created by the standard lz4hc
> > commnadline tool at compile time.
> >
> > No github link yet as there is a little bit of cleanup todo :)
> >
> > Please comment.
>
> Sounds nice. I'm curious how it would compare to:
>
> https://www.digitalmars.com/sargon/lz77.html
>
> https://github.com/DigitalMars/sargon/blob/master/src/sargon/lz77.d

There exist some comparisons for the C++ implementations
(zlib's DEFLATE being a variation of lz77):
http://catchchallenger.first-world.info//wiki/Quick_Benchmark:_Gzip_vs_Bzip2_vs_LZMA_vs_XZ_vs_LZ4_vs_LZO
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9b69/86f2fff8db7e080ef8b02aa19f3941a61a91.pdf (pg.9)

The high compression variant of lz4 basically like gzip with
9x faster decompression. That makes it well suited for use
cases where you compress once, decompress often and I/O
sequential reads are fast e.g. 200 MB/s or the program does
other computations meanwhile and one doesn't want
decompression to use a lot of CPU time.

--
Marco