Dreams come true: Compiling and running linux apps on windows :)

Mike via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 7 21:19:21 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 17:34:14 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> there is a new feature with the recent windows 10 update.
> You now can compile and run your linux apps (console only) on
> windows.

For those who might not be aware of this and are looking for a
little more info, it's called the "Windows Subsystem for Linux"
(WSL)

Wikipedia Entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux
Microsoft's overview:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/
Microsoft blog post:
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/03/30/run-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows/

On a related note, Microsoft has also created an open-source MI
interface to GDB: https://github.com/Microsoft/MIEngine.  You can
install the Visual Studio 2015 plugin through Nuget - if I
remember correctly it is this plugin:
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/725025cf-7067-45c2-8d01-1e0fd359ae6e.  There's a nice video about it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3toI8L3Oug

I currently use this to do ARM microcontroller development in
Visual Studio 2015 with GCC and OpenOCD.

Mike