DIP1000: Scoped Pointers

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 12 05:51:26 PDT 2016

On Friday, 12 August 2016 at 12:01:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/12/2016 4:12 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 August 2016 at 22:07:57 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> The scheme does not implement borrowing. References to
>>> internal data should be
>>> returned via 'return ref' or 'return scope', where their
>>> usage will be limited
>>> to the expression they appear in.
>>
>> I want to make sure we have the same understanding here: the
>> use-case I'm
>> interested in is a data structure that needs to hold a
>> reference to data it does
>> not own -- where, obviously, the lifetime of the data
>> structure cannot outlive
>> the lifetime of the data it references.
>>
>> Surely this scope proposal ought to address that use-case?
>
> Using ref counted objects should deal with that nicely.

I'm not sure I follow.  I'm looking for the ability to guarantee
that a pointer to a stack-allocated entity will not go out of
scope; I'd rather not have to choose between GC allocation or RC
allocation (which I presume would both be on the heap...?).  Or
am I missing some of the potential uses of RC?