[GSoC] std.experimental.xml is now a PR!

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 24 06:16:20 PDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 12:00:43 +0000, Suliman wrote:

> On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 10:26:53 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 10:22:04 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>>> Add more examples of usage please.
>>
>> Thank you very much for having a look. Did you see the examples at [1]?
>> I don't want to add other examples to that page, it would become too
>> long, but maybe I could add specific examples in the pages of the
>> various modules. What do you think?
>>
>> [1]
>> https://lodo1995.github.io/experimental.xml/std/experimental/xml.html
>
> IMHO is much better to attend every function with short example of it's
> usage. For example:
> https://lodo1995.github.io/experimental.xml/std/experimental/xml/
parser.html
> it's hard to understand what it's doing.
>
> Not every D-people are good programmers.

I'd rather say, not everyone using D learns best from specifications plus
lengthy examples. Short, pithy examples work better for some. It's also
easier to ensure that you have good coverage that way.

For my part, I best learn the essentials from *short* examples and the
details from prose. I can learn general usage from prose, but it takes me
a fair bit longer for non-trivial things (especially when it makes heavy
use of templates). I can learn details from examples, but it's much
slower.

This isn't a lack of programming skill on my part. It's just, I'm a
human, so I'm good at pattern matching.