[GSoC] std.experimental.xml is now a PR!

Lodovico Giaretta via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 27 04:18:23 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 at 21:36:34 UTC, Lurker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 09:31:44 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Looks good at first glance. How does it compare against
> established XML parsers performance-wise, e.g. Phobos XML,
> RapidXML, pugixml etc.
>
> Tango claimed to be the fastest XML parser at some point in
> time, curious how it compares.
>
> http://xmlbench.sourceforge.net/ might be a good start.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy.

I didn't perform many comparisons against other APIs. Also,
performance has not been the main target. I mean, the
infrastructure for making it fast is there. The library contains
a small number of string handling functions that can be
optimized, leading to great speed improvements in all components.
But these functions hasn't been fully optimized yet.

About raw performance, the repository contains a simple
benchmarking driver which I use to track performance regressions
in the code. On my laptop, excluding the time needed to load the
input from disk, I can easily process XML with speeds over
50MB/s, which looks like a good start.

Easy win comparisons: this library is way faster than Java's
built-in XML library and also way faster than the current Phobos
std.xml API.

> http://xmlbench.sourceforge.net/ might be a good start.

Thank you for pointing this out. I will have a look.