On the future of DIP1000

Bill Hicks via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 27 23:34:41 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 27 August 2016 at 15:34:04 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 August 2016 at 15:19:40 UTC, Bill Hicks wrote:
>> On Saturday, 27 August 2016 at 05:57:25 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We've never mocked Rust's safety features, although I have
>>> posted that they are too complex for D and desire a simpler
>>> system.
>>>

>> "A disharmonic personality. Reading any amount of Rust code
>> evokes the joke 'friends don't let friends skip leg day' and
>> the comic imagery
>> (https://www.google.com/search?q=friends+don%27t+let+friends+skip+leg+day&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCM_ViveKhMkCFUfZPgodVsgLsA&biw=1582&bih=1352) of men with hulky torsos resting on skinny legs".  --Andrei
>>
>> If that's not mockery, then how would you describe it?
>
> On my phone so can only speak from memory, but if it serves
> then he went on to equally criticise D for its warts and
> blemishes. It would be cherry-picking to ignore context and
> just say that he threw mockery at rust.

Riiiiiiiiiiight!

Nothing has been taken out of context, so don't get it twisted.
In his post Andrei did cover the disadvantages of D, but his tone
was very different when talking about Rust and Go.  And yes, he
was mocking Rust and even teasing Go for that matter.

Andrei's Quora post was mostly a PR stunt:  when your competition
has a larger number of subscribers/users, you attack it in order
to steal the spotlight.  I haven't seen this kind of behavior
from Rust or Go creators towards D.