Re: Blog Post - profiling with perf and friends

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 25 12:45:13 PST 2016

On 12/25/2016 02:16 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> Just a few infos on using perf and related tools for profiling on linux.
>
> https://code.dawg.eu/profiling-with-perf-and-friends.html

That's awesome and very easy to follow, reproduce, and tweak.

One thing that would be terrific (also in keep with Vladimir's work
https://blog.thecybershadow.net/2015/05/05/is-d-slim-yet/ which btw does
not seem to work anymore - clicking on the graph takes to the error page
http://digger.k3.1azy.net/trend/) is having an automated tracker of
build performance. The tracker would be easily accessible and would flag
PRs that decrease compilation speed by more than a tolerance. One OS
should be enough for now. We need a clean machine (not shared for many
other tasks). The Foundation can provide a Linux machine in my basement.
Looking at our A-Team Seb, Vladimir, Martin please let me know if this
is something you'd pursue.

Two other things. One, can one aggregate outputs from several perf runs?
The unittest builds are likely to exercise other corners of the
compiler; they're one per module so they'd entail multiple perf runs.

Second, in my dreams we should have @benchmark unittests in phobos that
are run and produce a nice tabular output, for tabulation and plotting.
Such output would make it easy to track how performance of the standard
library is evolving across releases.

Thanks,

Andrei