Blog Post - profiling with perf and friends

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 25 13:05:52 PST 2016

On Sunday, 25 December 2016 at 19:16:03 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> Just a few infos on using perf and related tools for profiling
> on linux.
>
> https://code.dawg.eu/profiling-with-perf-and-friends.html

Nice article.

There is a nice gui tool for the same purpose,
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/codexl/
I find it easier to use then perf since it lists the useful
statistics as a table.
Also very useful is valgrind --tool=callgrind
and the gui for it kcachegrind.
http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/

I used it to optimize the newCTFE code with great success.
Also I would recommend to compile the executable you are
profiling with -g -gc, as you will be able to see which lines of
code asm instructions correspond to.