New GDC binaries: 2.068.2, shared library support, multilib support & a new gdmd tool

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 27 06:57:26 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 27 December 2016 at 02:52:40 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 December 2016 at 19:41:38 UTC, Johannes Pfau
> wrote:
>
>> * Shared library support: We added support for shared
>> libraries to GDC
>
> Great, might be time to revive
> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/617 soon.

Sounds like a good idea :-)

>> * New mechanism to link system dependencies: All system
>> libraries
>>   needed by phobos (-ldl, -lrt, -latomic) are detected in the
>>   phobos ./configure script. The required dependencies are
>> added to a
>>   libgphobos.spec file and installed along with the
>> libgphobos.so/.a
>>   libraries. GDC then reads this file to detect the required
>> libraries,
>>   so the libraries are no longer hard coded in GDC. Note for
>>   distribution packagers: You must make sure to manually
>> install this
>>   file if you do not use the standard make install command.
>
> Sounds interesting for dmd as well.

You could also use DMD.conf or some nice, custom file format. We
have to use the .spec format in GCC/GDC which is quite limited.