It's alive! D building D building D, all on Android

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 29 01:16:58 PST 2016

On Sunday, 15 May 2016 at 11:09:01 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 May 2016 at 19:07:10 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>
>>> Great work!
>>
>> I've slapped up some beta builds, have at it:
>>
>> https://github.com/joakim-noah/android/releases/tag/ddmd
>>
>> Check out this beautiful version string, a natively built ddmd
>> on my Android tablet:
>>
>> LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.0.0-beta1):
>>   based on DMD v2.070.2 and LLVM 3.8.0
>>   built with LDC - the LLVM D compiler (3197d6)
>>   Default target: armv7-none-linux-android
>>   Host CPU: cortex-a15
>>   http://dlang.org - http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC
>>
>>   Registered Targets:
>>     arm     - ARM
>>     armeb   - ARM (big endian)
>>     thumb   - Thumb
>>     thumbeb - Thumb (big endian)
>
> I've put up three more builds, including ldc master, which uses
> the latest 2.071 frontend.  Once I get JNI and the sample app
> working, I'll make a proper announcement.

I've put up the latest native and cross-compiler ldc 1.1.0 beta
builds for Android, fresh from the master branch and using the
2.071 frontend:

https://github.com/joakim-noah/android/releases

I believe I've fixed the issue that was causing random crashes in
the sample apps, a regression from porting the NDK's C wrapper to
D, found by Vadim Lopatim.  I've added three sample apps that
demonstrate calling D code from JNI.

The sample C++ Teapot app from the NDK has been ported to D and
mostly works, including calling Java methods from D through JNI,
but I need to track down some other touch-related bugs from the
port before committing it.  I'm finishing up reggae files to make
building the sample apps very easy.  I'd like to write up the
process to build and use ldc natively on your Android mobile
device, from the Termux app, on the wiki.

Once those three are done, I'll create a new thread to properly
announce this beta; in the meantime, nothing will change with
these new beta builds, so try them out.