DigitalWhip

artemalive via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 14 09:38:54 PST 2016

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 at 21:10:11 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 February 2016 at 20:45:41 UTC, David Nadlinger
> wrote:
>> Your scripts had bounds checking enabled for LDC but not the
>> other two D compilers.
>
> I strongly recommend people to always keep bounds checking
> enabled in real world programs because it is so useful in
> keeping programs sane. Specific parts of the code might disable
> it via `.ptr`, but the command line switch is dangerous and I
> can't recommend anyone to use it... ever.
>
> We should run benchmarks with bounds checking enabled to better
> reflect real world results. Yes, it might "lose" to C, but
> we'll be the ones laughing when the C program crashes with yet
> another buffer overrun or when it's milliseconds in execution
> time lead to days of debug time and a multi-million dollar
> business loss when an unchecked pointer leads to a security
> breech.

Hi Adam, I'll check the influence of enabled bounds check on
benchmark result. Did not try this before.

Nevertheless, I have to admit I'm still on the dark side.
Benchmark has some algorithms related to raytracing techniques
and in this area I can't resist temptation to max performance at
any cost.