Google Summer of Code 2016 Only A Few Hours Left

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 19 13:50:43 PST 2016

On Friday, 19 February 2016 at 21:10:45 UTC, Dave wrote:

> Good starting points for a GSOC project would be "to port"
> mc-stan.org or some optimization algorithms from Coin-OR.org
> (please let me be more particular and independent of existing
> work if there is any interest for such a project!).

I've written bindings for nlopt and a wrapper to make it more
D-like. Close to releasing it. I'm also thinking about doing the
same thing for GLPK, but I want to do other non-D stuff before I
get to that. The only optimization library I'm familiar with in
Coin-OR is ipopt and that's C++, which might be more difficult to
get working.

Being able to call Stan from D would definitely be cool. It looks
beyond my expertise to get it working though. I think part of the
difficulty is that while it is written in C++, there isn't a C++
interface. I think they are working on one though. I looked at
the code for rstan and the command line interface and couldn't
make much headway in understanding what's going on.

It should be possible to do some manipulation in D and pipe it to
the command line interface of Stan. Alternately, you could try
calling pystan or rstan from D. If you make any progress on these
approaches, I would be interested.