Qt's MOC getting replicated in D for Calypso

Elie Morisse via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 21 09:09:29 PST 2016

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 17:34:48 UTC, Nicolas F. wrote:
> This is really cool and an interesting project, though I've got
> one concern: How will this fit in with the rest of the C++
> efforts done upstream? (...) or is the goal to upstream these
> changes and make them an officially supported feature?

The two efforts are independent, and the main issue with
Calypso's approach: it's tied to LDC, LLVM and Clang. Although I
had a slight hope that the approach would get recognized as
allowing perfect interfacing with C++ incl. things unthinkable
with the « from scratch » approach (like C++ template
instantiation) and give D an edge that would probably be
sufficient to make lots and lots of people switch from C++ to D,
as long as DMD is there and a GDC/GCC version isn't proved
feasible there's no question about whether this approach should
get officially endorsed or not, and nevertheless the current
efforts towards better C++ support in DMD should still yield
important results.

Calypso will exist as a LDC plugin, and yes code using Calypso
features will only be build-able by LDC+Calypso.

> As I see it the goal here is to spearhead a working Qt <-> D
> interaction, but how would this be used in production? Would
> Calypso simply be run to generate bindings

The goal of Calypso is to make any C++ library of any complexity
usable in D straightaway, and there's no binding involved.

moc was a barrier for Qt because it only parses C++ code, and
Qt's C++ API can hardly be used without the code moc generates.