Better docs for D (WIP)

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 2 09:16:43 PST 2016

On Friday, 1 January 2016 at 16:30:44 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> In my eyes there are three important aspects to quality
> documentation:

Let me summarize the benefits I see in my way for each of these
three items:

>  1. Content

For content, I'm making edits based on common questions I see.
I've answered like 1/4 of all the D support requests in 2015
myself and there's a lot of patterns there. I'm also talking to
new users and watching them code to see what problems they have
myself.

Doing these edits on the status quo keeps getting blocked by the
overhead... we have a content problem in part because of the
process/infrastructure problem.

>  2. Usability (legibility, X-ref, list of contents, indices,
> searching)

This is what the new generator does by rearranging and formatting
the content. There's a new feature: $(REF ), which is a smarter
reference than plain text macros allow, and header macros are
built-in so the processor understands how to build a table of
contents out of them too.

>  3. Maintainability (ease to contribute, legibility in code,
> intuitive procedures)

Ease and intuition: I'm creating a web interface to drop
suggestions and to preview your new articles. You don't have to
build the whole site (which also requires git phobos and git
dmd...), just upload your new file.

The final thing will still be a github pull request, but for many
cases I can help myself by doing it.

Legibility: I'm limiting ddoc macros to keep them simpler to
understand. A comprehensive, but limited set of syntax allows you
to actually learn it all and use them as you write without
worrying about what weird user-defined macros are there or what
the difference between XREF and XREF2 is.

Most documentation should use this fancy syntax sparingly.

> there is too much friction that this be done in the official
> documentation. But if it is too much for Adam, I am not
> encouraged to even try...

Well, remember that I'm extremely lazy. You should still try it
yourself to understand what I mean and see if you agree.