Using D and std.ndslice as a Numpy Replacement

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 3 17:03:49 PST 2016

On Monday, 4 January 2016 at 00:24:51 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 18:56:07 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>> I still have to disagree with you that the example I submitted
>> was fair. Accessing global memory in D is going to be much
>> slower than accessing stack memory, […]
>
> What leads you to this belief? (Beyond cache locality
> considerations, which are not so important if the data is
> large.)

The example in the article and the example I submitted to
DlangScience/examples have very different speeds:
https://github.com/DlangScience/examples/blob/master/mean_of_columns.d

Article example:                  5 µs
DlangScience example:  145 µs

Both when compiled with LDC