Better docs for D (WIP)

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 05:31:57 PST 2016

On 1/6/16 1:54 AM, default0 wrote:
> In the end most of this comes down to a lack of motivation: I'm fine
> trying to improve documentation text if I see an issue about it, but if
> that entails stopping what I was originally doing for so long that I
> will possibly forget what I was originally doing (ie requires me to read
> documentation on how to set up a whole new development environment), I
> will usually decide that nah, it isn't THAT important.

Yeah, I empathize a lot. Adam's idea for using web forms for fixes is great.

Here's a simple idea we can implement rather quickly. Say a user is
browsing https://dlang.org/builtin.html and find a typo. They press a
button labeled "Fix typo". That opens
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/edit/master/builtin.dd.
 From there people can edit the source file to fix the typo and create a
PR, all without leaving the browser or building the documentation.

If this is too heavy-handed, I think Adam's idea of web forms for simple
changes is great. We could devise a simple web form in e.g. errata
format a la "Replace this" ... "With this".

Would this improve the state of affairs? Creating the "Fix Typo" button
is an easy project.

Andrei