Better docs for D (WIP)

Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 15:13:05 PST 2016

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 at 13:38:20 UTC, anonymous wrote:
> We have this already. Top right corner, "Improve this page".
> People are using the feature occasionally.

My first experience with this:

1) Seems to work well enough initially, if you can do without a
preview.

2) Then the request comes to rebase to stable [1]. There is no
web interface for that, so I followed friendly instructions from
the reviewer and created a new PR by hand by clicking through
github and redoing the changes. Not so smooth but doable if you
have been on github before.

3) Then the PR needs to be rebased again because of merge
conflicts, introduced by another PR [2]. Reluctant to close the
PR and correcting the mistakes a third time in a new PR, I
decided to download a local clone and merge locally. Git not
being part of my daily routines, that was as smooth as I feared
it would be (not at all).

Fixing these small documentation errors took more than an hour of
my time. I just hope the PR can be merged before it needs
rebasing again ;-)

[1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3907
[2] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3908

Bastiaan.