Logo for D

DaveG via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 18 21:48:50 PST 2016

On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
>>> How do you see it?
>>>
>>> http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png
>>>
>>> Many variants are on the way.
>>
>> The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping
>> it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders,
>> it would be even better.
>
> I've long wished the D and moons were what was considered the
> logo[1]. The current one has three borders, a drop shadow, and
> gradients up the wazoo. Anything tacked on beyond the iconic
> shape should just be done based on context (like using red or
> white for the logo, a background color, etc.)
>
> http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png
>
> Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png

I completely agree. The most recognisable symbols I can think of
are characters. An "A" is clearly an "A" regardless of color,
shading, or its surroundings. I think a logo should be
recognisable in silhouette - this tends to keep it simple,
portable, and customisable. This could include an official
default color to enhance recognition/association. The default
would just be there when there is not a strong reason to use
something else, but if you want to incorporate the logo into some
other artwork (slides, t-shirts, etc.) you have much greater
flexibility.

The official logo should just be the D with the moons, not the
entire box. The default color seems to have become that red color
so the default logo would either be a red D (with moons) or,
using negative space, a white D surrounded by red (as shown in
the proposed header). There may be a time the shiny stylized box
version fits the design, but the new site is certainly the place.
The box feels like other design elements that crept into a logo
and got stuck there.