Walter on his experience as a dev, on running an open source project and D

epsilomish via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 20 12:41:57 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 11:24:11 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 21/01/16 12:22 AM, epsilomish wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 11:07:16 UTC, Rikki
>> Cattermole wrote:

>>> From what Walter said, they all knew c. So not really too low
>>> level
>>> for them.
>>
>> But half-float uses the 'alias this' trick, furthemore on a
>> getter
>> function. Without a bit of D knowledge you can't get how it's
>> subtle.
>
> Yeah I agree, alias this was definitely too much for them.
> But half float wasn't an issue IMO.

Actually, the 'alias this' is probably not that much a problem.
In their shoes I would even ask myself: mmh what is this obscure
feature, let's have a deeper look to D...Anyway the technical
part of the talk is small, there is the thing about lexical D
t_h_i_n_g_s, the octal template and half-floats...It globally
works.