Vision for the first semester of 2016

Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 22:39:54 PST 2016

On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 03:21:51 UTC, Puming wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 02:37:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> Hot off the press! http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H1 --
>> Andrei

[snip]

> For tooling, I suggest a look at GUI/IDEs, now that
> dlangui/dlangide seems a good candidate(native D,
> crossplatform). A good official supported GUI library will
> attract many people.

I truly doubt that. It would be truly amazing if that were to
occur but history has proven otherwise. The sentiment was
expressed so many times that Walter was finally moved to sanction
DWT as the official GUI for D in 2006. Even a newsgroup was made
for it. It's ten years later. DWT anyone?

Aurora was a recent attempt that was shelved for the sole
author's personal reasons. Result?

Sadly, dlangui/dlangide is no different. It has one developer. If
that individual gets discouraged, like so many others have so
far, what becomes of it?

Until members of the community starts combining efforts and
working together to improve the situation, it will not improve.
You have Adam working on working on simpledisplay, Mike working
on Derelict, Felix working on three-d, Vladimir working on
ae-graphics, Martin on freeimage, Vadim on dlangui/dlangide and
who knows what else is out there in the wood works. All of this
is admirable and appreciated but imagine what would be possible
if these minds teamed up, mapped out a graphic solution for the
language and united efforts in implementing it!

I'm convinced that without such a deliberate effort, this
situation will not change for years to come. Even if a particular
library is dubbed "The One." Like I've said earlier, that was
already done ten years ago.