Vision for the first semester of 2016

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 22:48:04 PST 2016

On 25/01/16 7:18 PM, Puming wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 05:50:34 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>>
>> I want us to hold off on that as well.
>
> I agree that we need a more solid base.
>
>> I want people to really have a go with making GUI toolkits in D
>> without the worry about how to do the cross platformy technical things.
>
> Is dlangui a good start on this?

No, too much code for what the base needs.
For windowing you want it just above what the OS does in a cross
platform abstracted way.

So no controls support or any other gruff that a GUI toolkit provides.

>> We just don't know what could be done yet and I'm looking forward to
>> finding out.
>
> I think improving dlangide will give us many opportunities for what a
> good D native GUI library needs.

No, it already has its core code. By in large what you want to innovate
is the core code, not what a specific control does.

I'm not saying dlangui is the wrong way to go. We just don't know which
way is right just yet and that is ok.