Vision for the first semester of 2016

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 23:34:42 PST 2016

On 25/01/16 8:16 PM, tsbockman wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 07:03:35 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> The strategy should be "get rid of anything in Phobos that can be put
>> out as a separate library".
>
> This makes no sense as a standard: since neither DMD nor druntime is
> allowed to depend upon Phobos, everything in Phobos *could* be put into
> a separate library.

I had a long post replying to Russel and to put it bluntly, its just wrong.
We are most definitely losing people simply because they expect certain
code in the standard library. Like windowing and image.
Things like sockets are lower on their priority list.

In their mind we are not even a 'programming language'.

Phobos does need to be bigger, but not fully inclusive.
If most people won't use something, don't add it.

Sure there is arguments against this, but there is a certain amount we
must standardize and agree upon as a community. Phobos most certainly is
the place to do this. Otherwise we will be going round in circles for a
much longer period then we should and not growing much.