Vision for the first semester of 2016

JohnCK via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 25 08:25:02 PST 2016

On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 06:39:54 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 03:21:51 UTC, Puming wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 02:37:40 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Hot off the press! http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H1 --
>>> Andrei
>
> [snip]
>
>> For tooling, I suggest a look at GUI/IDEs, now that
>> dlangui/dlangide seems a good candidate(native D,
>> crossplatform). A good official supported GUI library will
>> attract many people.
>
> I truly doubt that. It would be truly amazing if that were to
> occur but history has proven otherwise. The sentiment was
> expressed so many times that Walter was finally moved to
> sanction DWT as the official GUI for D in 2006. Even a
> newsgroup was made for it. It's ten years later. DWT anyone?
>
> Aurora was a recent attempt that was shelved for the sole
> author's personal reasons. Result?
>
> Sadly, dlangui/dlangide is no different. It has one developer.
> If that individual gets discouraged, like so many others have
> so far, what becomes of it?
>
> Until members of the community starts combining efforts and
> working together to improve the situation, it will not improve.
> You have Adam working on working on simpledisplay, Mike working
> on Derelict, Felix working on three-d, Vladimir working on
> ae-graphics, Martin on freeimage, Vadim on dlangui/dlangide and
> who knows what else is out there in the wood works
> I'm convinced that without such a deliberate effort, this
> situation will not change for years to come. Even if a
> particular library is dubbed "The One." Like I've said earlier,
> that was already done ten years ago.

Well, I think the question is: IDE is a main thing today? If you
take the languages that emerged along the years, some of them are
backed most on web toolkit/Internet.

Please don't get me wrong and I'm not saying this is NOT
important. But today I think perhaps this kind of thing is
turning into a niche.

I think vibe.d or whatever web toolkit should get more attention.

JohnCK.