Vision for the first semester of 2016

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 25 23:37:45 PST 2016

On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 17:06 +1300, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> […]
>
> Well whoever these people are, they are most certainly not the
> people
> I've seen. They wouldn't care or even want to look at PyPI.

The people you have seen are clearly not Pythonistas. This may be by
dint of their teachers/lecturer/tutors/mentors not actually
understanding Python and its culture.

[…]

> 2 years ago, but I can guarantee for students that go through that
> course and tutors, it won't be changing anytime soon.

OK, in which case I infer the teachers/lecturers/tutors/mentors really
do not understand Python, and should learn more themselves as a matter
of urgency and professionalism.

[…]

> You're 100% right that it is the people problem here.
> But right now, Phobos is the only way I can emphasize reuse of the
> core
> bare-bones libraries.

I disagree (hence my comment about displacement). I think we should fix
the Dub issues and the relationship between Dub, GDC, LDC, DMD,
druntime and Phobos. To use Phobos as a "hack" to solve the problem in
the short term will be a disservice to D in the medium to long term.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk