Vision for the first semester of 2016

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 14:33:32 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 21:47:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 21:03:01 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
>> Also, you skipped past the "uninterested" part - this is a
>> volunteer project, remember?
>
> I didn't think it was a relevant argument as you can still
> write libraries for distribution. Keep in mind that the
> standard library has to be maintained and API's cannot easily
> be redesigned because of backwards compatibility.
>
> Even if C/C++ have small standard libraries they provide a
> depressing amount of low quality functionality that one should
> avoid. But it is kept in for backwards compatibility and
> sometimes even updated and extended...
>
> That not a good thing.

There are certainly disadvantages to the standard library model
of distribution and maintenance.

On the other hand:

1) The prospect of getting something into the standard library is
a huge motivator for (at least some) potential contributors.

Why? Because building a library that no one knows about/trusts is
wasted effort. Getting something into `std` is among the most
effective forms of marketing available, and requires little
non-programming-related skill or effort on the part of the
contributor.

2) Standard libraries don't enforce backwards compatibility (and
high code quality in general) just for the sake of bureaucracy -
they do so because these are highly desirable characteristics for
basic infrastructure. People shouldn't have to rewrite their
entire stack every 6 months just because someone thought of a
better API for some low-level component.

Making it through D's formal review process typically raises code
quality quite a lot, and the knowledge that backwards
compatibility is a high priority makes outsiders much more likely
to invest in actually using a library module.

In short, while you make some valid points, your analysis seems
very lopsided; it completely glosses over all of the positives
associated with the status quo.