Vision for the first semester of 2016

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 15:16:55 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 23:04:57 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
> This is why requiring modules to spend some time on DUB and/or
> in `std.experimental` before freezing the API is important.

Well, there aren't enough D applications written to ensure the
usefulness of the API. Just take a look at widely adopted
frameworks, they are "the one true thing" for a few years with
100s or 1000s of applications using them. However as applications
grow problems emerge. What happens? The entire framework is
scrapped and replaced with something else.

> Targeting 100% generality with APIs is pretty much always a bad
> idea.

Making a system level programming library based on what a current
PC operating systems offers is also a bad idea. On Apple systems
you are supposed to no longer use paths, but switch to URLs for
files. Ok, you can do that by requiring URLs on all platforms,
but what if you designed the API 10 years ago?

Operating systems changes, hardware changes. System level
programming languages shouldn't provide an abstract machine,
unlike the JVM.

I'm not at all convinced that D isn't tied too heavily to
x86/POSIX/Windows. It isn't obvious that future systems will
bother with POSIX.