Vision for the first semester of 2016

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 27 01:15:27 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 06:17:44 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 22:48:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:

>> I am not sure if that is the right motivation. Sounds like
>> recipe for bloat. Good libraries evolve from being used in
>> real applications. Many applications.
>
> sayeth a low-level guy (if I understand correctly), which will
> certainly create a distinct perspective about what you would
> like to see in the standard library, and yet this may not be
> the right thing for the language as a whole.

I am both low-level and high level, but D's primary advantage is
that it allows low level programming.

> fwiw, people that do use D on a serious scale have remarked
> that the richness of the standard library (even as it stands
> today) was a major advantage - in bioinformatics, at a London
> hedge fund, and I think AdRoll.

Do you consider Angular to be low level? It was used in 100s if
not 1000s of applications, but was considered inadequate and
scrapped in favour of Angular2. This is the typical pattern for
libraries and frameworks.