Vision for the first semester of 2016

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 27 09:37:53 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 16:52:53 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> your own argument.  Of course there will be lots there that one
> doesn't need and can't use.  But over time things that were
> once cutting edge become bog standard, and it makes sense to
> have coherence and convenience rather than to have to search
> out the best library for the purpose each time.

I agree about coherence being desirable, but evolution tends to
lead to the opposite. Just look at C++ streams vs iterators vs
ranges vs ... Coherence is a good reason to have independent
libraries that are replaced as a whole.

The standard library should primarily cover stable types you need
to describe APIs. Then you can have other recommended independent
libraries with no mutual dependencies.