Ocean preview finally open sourced

Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 1 01:54:27 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 21:32:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 21:20:16 UTC, Leandro Lucarella
> wrote:
>>
>> I'd say some parts should work out of the box (there many
>> things that are completely OS agnostic, like containers,
>> cache, bindings to other libraries like PCRE, etc.), and some
>> other it would be quite some work (for example all the I/O is
>> tied to epoll, there is one class to work with direct I/O
>> that's super Linux specific, etc.).
>
> Hm. I'd have to see what works. I can't afford to be stuck to
> one OS.

Maybe in some future we might want to do some sort of separation
between the more algorithmic stuff and the more
platform-dependent stuff, because we actually spent quite some
time and effort in removing some Tango's abstractions. It is a
very conscious design decision to remove as many abstraction
layers as possible, and for the platform-dependent part, we
definitely don't want to go back. We need to work very closely to
the OS facilities, so abstractions are plain noise and source of
inefficiency for us :)

But if there is interest, I don't discard the splitting idea in
some future.