Ocean preview finally open sourced

Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 1 02:13:46 PDT 2016

On Friday, 1 July 2016 at 08:54:27 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Maybe in some future we might want to do some sort of
> separation between the more algorithmic stuff and the more
> platform-dependent stuff, because we actually spent quite some
> time and effort in removing some Tango's abstractions. It is a
> very conscious design decision to remove as many abstraction
> layers as possible, and for the platform-dependent part, we
> definitely don't want to go back. We need to work very closely
> to the OS facilities, so abstractions are plain noise and
> source of inefficiency for us :)
>
> But if there is interest, I don't discard the splitting idea in
> some future.

It'd be great, if there was some sort of separation so that users
know exactly what to use for cross-platform development and what
not. Docs or some sort of a cheat sheet would be nice too. In
this way users can see, if Ocean contains something interesting
for the task at hand. There's less of a chance of adoption, if
you have to go through the source code to see what it does.