Ocean preview finally open sourced

Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 1 03:31:59 PDT 2016

On Friday, 1 July 2016 at 09:43:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 16:45:43 UTC, Leandro Lucarella
> wrote:
>> (although please have a look at the licensing terms, even when
>> all our code is Boost, there is code inherited from Tango that
>> isn't), criticize it, and if you are really nice, fill issues
>> and make pull requests!
>
> I find the licensing a bit confusing. For instance
>
> https://github.com/sociomantic-tsunami/ocean/blob/v2.x.x/src/ocean/math/Probability.d
>
> Lists the licensing as: Tango 3 BSD Clause + Academic Free
> License v3.0.
>
> But the original work Cephes seems to carry this ad-hoc license:
> https://github.com/jeremybarnes/cephes/blob/master/readme

Oh, well. Sorting out the license(s) were one of the major pains
and time consuming tasks we had to do to opensource this, and
apparently despite our best efforts there are stuff that we
didn't see.

This comes from Tango, so we kept the original Tango license. I
would assume Tango people did a check on this, and had some sort
of permission to change the license, but I will try to contact
the author to make sure this is the case. If not, then we'll
probably remove that module (we removed a lot of Tango modules
because of dubious origin/license already).

https://github.com/sociomantic-tsunami/ocean/issues/2

> «
> Some software in this archive may be from the book _Methods and
> Programs for Mathematical Functions_ (Prentice-Hall or Simon &
> Schuster
> International, 1989) or from the Cephes Mathematical Library, a
> commercial product. In either event, it is copyrighted by the
> author.
> What you see here may be used freely but it comes with no
> support or
> guarantee.
>
> The two known misprints in the book are repaired here in the
> source listings for the gamma function and the incomplete beta
> integral.
> »
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to sort out the code that is pure
> Boost, or obtain a boost license where the authors are known,
> because complicated licensing is a hindrance even if the
> "spirit" is the same across the licenses.

We know that, and again, the license was by far the biggest
nightmare of the open sourcing effort. Honestly we don't have the
time to take on this, but this is an area where external
contributions would be extremely helpful. Anyone can contact the
original authors and ask for permission (although to make sure we
probably need to check the full Tango history to see all the
people that actually contributed, sometimes the Authors section
is quite bogus).