Vision document for H2 2016

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 8 09:04:25 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 7 July 2016 at 19:55:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H2 -- Andrei

I see that this thread has sparked a lot of "ideas for the
future". That's a great outcome but many of them don't belong in
this vision document, and in fact some probably deserve mention
in the vision doc as "great ideas the leadership won't be funding
yet - but feel free to drive it yourself if you feel passionate
about it".

I think this is important because it would greatly raise
satisfaction with the vision doc, if it was more clear "what it
is not".

So I'm wondering if there are ways to improve the structure.

1) A link to that action list, placing it in context relative to
this doc, and encouraging people to add their ideas like "rust
aliases" there instead of here. (Or maybe you have a better place
for this, like a forum where such requests are discussed first).

2) A link to a longer-term vision doc. The question I posted
recently in "general", about the evolution of the language, is
the kind of thing I would want to see answered there. Another
kind of thing is anything "long term strategic" that isn't a
priority right now - e.g. pain points for new adopters that "we
can't work on yet" (e.g. "there are 3 compilers, and many
practitioners end up installing at least 2 of them"). And
generally, I'd like a place that sets long term expectations,
e.g. the rate of future deprecation of existing features in the
language and in Phobos.